Hi Robert,

I've read on Jean-Francis' blog that his new project Atmosphere
https://atmosphere.dev.java.net/   would work on App Engine. Also the
Servlet 3.0 spec has asynchronous comet built in. Not sure if thats an
option with AE yet.

I wonder why XMPP lags? I have noticed this on EVERY XMPP app and code
example that I have seen to date. Thats why I specifically asked about
performance :).  I just wonder if it's the protocol's much redundant
overhead data being gziped causing decompression woes (the bends) on both
ends? or perhaps the libraries. Though there are many of them and I doubt
all back up under load.  Have you noticed CPU spikes correlated with traffic
at a disproportionate ratio?

-- Thanks for the response.
Richard Corsale

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Robert Kluin <robert.kl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1)  Based on discussions and responses I have seen, every connection
> counts.
> 2) It works well for us, other than there can sometimes be a little
> bit of lag  But it is usually very small.
> 3) If you find a good way I am sure many people would like to know.
> Where did you read that long-polling is supported?
>  For more discussion have a look at (and star) this issue:
> http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=377
>

> Robert
>

> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 11:27 AM, Tofui <richardcors...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All!
> >
> > I'm new to AE and was doing a bit of reading on the service. I was
> > surprised to find that AE does not support websockets? whats up with
> > that :).
> >
> > I have a framework that I've built over the last two years that
> > depends on streaming connectivity. I HAVE read XMPP is supported by
> > AE, and that lead me to a few questions that I cant seem to find the
> > answers to - hence this post :) .
> >
> > 1. I have read that there is a max number of simultaneous connections.
> > Does this apply to idle connections via NIO , where in they do not
> > consume resources while waiting for a push, or does every connection
> > hanging in suspension count?
> >
> > 2. Has anyone here had any problems with XMPP on AE?
> >
> > 3. Is there anyway to suspend the connection for streaming over XHR
> > that I have overlooked? I have read that long polling is supported
> > now.
> >
> > Any input is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > --Richard Corsale
> > CEO, CTO, CIO, CFO, C++
> > toFui.com
> >
> > --

If it seems too easy, it's probably foul.