I have an app that is currently in c# and that I am considering
porting to java and putting on the app engine.  Before I go any
further, though, I have a couple of questions on performance and the
types of apps that are right for this service.  My app is VERY
computationally intensive.  We're talking simulation, genetic
algorithms, monte carlo analysis, etc.  In our desktop version on a
good dual core machine, some of these can run for minutes.  However,
there is an application for moving this to the cloud, but the only way
to do that is if a request can spread processes over many threads or
distribute the workload to other machines.  I have read that you can't
create threads, so are there any alternatives, or is this just not the
right type of app to consider putting out there using this service?
Maybe having the code running on some grid-like service and invoking
it from the app on app engine?

Looking for any thoughts or words of wisdom from anyone who has faced
this type of scenario or investigated it.