Move it on to a Linode or Rackspace Cloud server.  You can spend weeks
or months of your life trying to adapt your algorithms to GAE's
limited environment, or spend a couple tens of bucks a month on a VPS.
 On the cheap side, $11/mo buys you a 256M instance at Rackspace
Cloud.  A little more expensive, reviews seem to indicate that Linode
has the best performing VMs by a fairly wide margin.  If you need
serious horsepower, there are now a few companies provisioning "bare
metal cloud servers" by the hour - check out
http://www.newservers.com/.

There's nothing wrong with a hybrid solution - if you have sensible
ways of syncing the relevant data (usually simple datestamps and
cursors are fine), you can run the public-facing part of your app on
GAE and call out via Hessian or REST to your cloud service.

Jeff