Could someone explain me how the authorisation cookie behaves ?

I've seen the following parameter in the GAE administration tool /
Application settings:
    Cookie Expiration: 1 day / 1 week / 2 weeks
    App Engine uses a cookie to keep users logged in to your
application.
    You can control how long each login cookie remains valid before
being re-issued by using this parameter.

I don't understand the comment.  Do users have to login every 2 weeks,
even if they access the application every day ?  Or they must login
only if they have not accessed the application in the last 2 weeks ?
In other words, does users.get_current_user() restart the 2 weeks
validity period ?  If not, is there any way for the application to
restart the validity programmatically ?

I could not find any info in the documentation, and discovering it by
trying it would be too time-consuming for me...

Thanks in advance,
PC