On Mar 23, 6:32 am, pca <pierre.carbonne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Could someone explain me how the authorisation cookie behaves ?
>
> I've seen the following parameter in the GAE administration tool /
> Application settings:
>     Cookie Expiration: 1 day / 1 week / 2 weeks
>     App Engine uses a cookie to keep users logged in to your
> application.
>     You can control how long each login cookie remains valid before
> being re-issued by using this parameter.
>
> I don't understand the comment.  Do users have to login every 2 weeks,
> even if they access the application every day ?  Or they must login
> only if they have not accessed the application in the last 2 weeks ?
> In other words, does users.get_current_user() restart the 2 weeks
> validity period ?  If not, is there any way for the application to
> restart the validity programmatically ?
>
> I could not find any info in the documentation, and discovering it by
> trying it would be too time-consuming for me...

I believe the cookie is set to expire 2 weeks after login, and then
isn't written again after that.

The only workaround I can think of would be to use you own auth
sessions (which could still use Google logins through openID) and re-
write the session cookie with a new, extended expiration date every
time the user uses your application.

This is a fairly common type of security precaution; someone gaining
access to a user's machine could only exploit the existing cookies for
a limited amount of time, although of course the amount of damage they
could do within that 2 week window is still probably fairly high.  You
might think users would be turned off by needing to login again every
2 weeks, but Facebook requires it and it hasn't hurt their popularity
much; at this point you can probably assume your users are used to
periodic logins.