Hmmm, I think I might have fixed it...but I don't get how.

I've added error-pages to my web.xml which catches 404 and 500 errors
and returns an appropriate error page (via
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/config/webxml.html#Error_Handlers).
After I fixed and deployed that, the previous URLs that didn't work
(i.e. www.examples.com/about) all of a sudden started to redirect
properly (i.e. to www.examples.com/about/).  Weird.  I'm not sure
exactly what happened, but this seems to be a non-issue now.  Anyways,
false alarm...I guess :p

Thanks

Charles