I suppose i'm looking at this thread with a little dismay

http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine/browse_thread/thread/e26ea1dd8b9a38f9/4924e3f20ed70bd1?lnk=gst&q=java+bulk#4924e3f20ed70bd1

is it true that if i want to download all of my data, massage it, and
re-upload it i need to make a small python app and upload it as a new
version to my production system in order to use the remote api and
bulk upload / download features?