I run a small club and maintain the member roster which contains
names, email, and phone numbers. This information is stored in a
Google Spreadsheet that I have full access to.

I'm trying to build a front end GUI I can use at our meetings. This
app needs to be accessible via web. It will have a sign in window
which takes your last name. It will search for your last name, display
your info, allow you to correct it, then mark you as present and
return to home. If it doesn't find your last name it will add you as a
new member and then return to home.

The spreadsheet is hosted via Google Apps. I don't own the web server
so I can't add the Google API libraries to it. I *might* be able to
install a local copy of PHP and use the Google Apps PHP API.

My question is: What's the easiest way to accomplish this?

Some brainstorming I've done:
1) Install a local copy of PHP on my web server. Use PHP and <form>
tags to build the GUI. Use the Google Spreadsheet PHP APi to modify
the spreadsheet.
2) Could I build a local Java version on my computer then somehow
transfer this to a Java applet and have Google Apps Engine host my app
for me? (I'm pretty unclear on how Java vs Java applet vs Google Apps
Engine works)

Notes:
I've never used Python but I could learn. Would I need to add Google
API libraries to the python install on my web server?
I looked at the built in scripting present in Google Spreadsheets but
it doesn't offer GUI design as far as I can tell.

I'm not a web developer but I am a hobby programmer and I'm new to
Google API so could someone point me in the right direction?