Hello,

There are quite a few questions in there that people will probably
answer.  One quick thing to clear up is that Google App Engine is a
hosting service for web-applications programmed in either Python or
Java.  Java can be used to make many things, including standard
programs, applets (small components that run inside a traditional
webpage) and servlets (that use Java logic to serve dynamic web pages
instead static HTML files).  Google App Engine also provides a
datastore back-end.  I know very little about accessing Google Docs
spreadsheets through an API, but in your case (depending on how much
you are eager to learn), I would store the data in the GAE datastore
and use Google App Engine for all that you describe.  I believe GAE is
the ideal situation to what you need.  It would require some learning,
but Google has some pretty good documentation.

Jake