I'm experiencing the same issue. I only have a single index and it was
on a newly deployed app.

On a side note, This app used to be part of an old app and I moved it
out of its parent app and into its own app. So the index was working
fine before the move.

The app in question is cfgamegroup and it used to be part of
cfsandbox.

I did several things to try and resolve the problem:
-tried vacuuming the index
-tried creating a new app and recreating the index (got the same
issue, new app was cfedwardsvillegamegroup)
-tried changing the index (old one is still in error state, new one
also went into error state)
-tried changing the version of the app (though that seems to have no
effect on the datastore)
-tried modifying the name of the entity that was being indexed (new
index showed up... In error state)

None of those seemed to have any effect. Also, trying to do an update
to the indexes produces an error explaining that I need to vacuum
first.

Also, when deploying with a busted index it gives me a warning
suggesting i vacuum/update the index.

Thanks!