My problem has fixed itself this morning.

One thing I discovered was that I was using an old version of the SDK
(2 versions old) to run appcfg.py.

This morning running the latest version of appcfg.py worked to vacuum
and create new index I needed (well, new index is still building, but
everything seems OK so far).

So either the server sorted itself out over night or using the old
command was the problem.