One of my apps started getting this yesterday and the problem
continued all day, and is still there this a.m. This is happening any
time you visit the app. The error log for "/" shows:

"Request was aborted after waiting too long to attempt to service your
request. This may happen sporadically when the App Engine serving
cluster is under unexpectedly high or uneven load. If you see this
message frequently, please contact the App Engine team."

This started after my app had been up and running for months, with no
changes; worked the day before, then dead.

Nothing in the system status shows what the cause may be or what (if
anything) is being done about this.