Hi Jay,

  I'm thinking that the API would change very little - certainly 100%
backward compatible with existing app engine code. For the simple use-
case though - 'on' or 'off' - configure it in app.yaml - if it's on,
then the datastore essentially has a 'login:required' flag on it, and
all keys for that application must contain the openid provider - that
field on the key is not something the developer can set (like the app
id).  If it's off, then its what we have now.  An extra method on the
Key class - e.g. Key.openid_provider() would make sense as well - when
the config is off, it returns None.  Exposing to the customer whether
this flag was set would also be very helpful. The important thing here
is that developer doesn't even have the opportunity to muck it up.
Every app in the marketplace with this flag on is suddenly seeming
much more secure to the customer.  Beyond the marketplace, using
openid in this fashion means customers are not restricted to google
apps - any (trusted) openid provider would work.

There's plenty of other stuff to consider, such as adminstrator access
to the datastore - it's hard to see how you could avoid allowing app
administrators full privileges.  But that's a different problem -
where you can trust the integrity of the vendor, and don't need to
worry about their ability to deliver a bug free application that won't
expose your data accidentally.  Then there's google's access to the
data as well - I can't work out from the terms what the restrictions
on google's access are.  I'm guessing most of incentives for google to
keep it secure are reputational, and while those are pretty good
incentives, it is a bit of a grey area for customers.

It would also be good to be able to specify the lock against
particular kinds - Nick highlighted this advantage in his 'enforcing
data isolation...'  article linked above. The problem with this though
is that it introduces the ability for the developer to muck it up.  It
would also be a lot messier to expose the configuration to the
customer. But still, making it configuration based is good, and it can
be easily highlighted in the admin console which Kinds are secured and
which are not. Remember the goal here is not to prevent malicious
attacks - just make it easy for developers to deliver applications
that secure their customers data, and that customers understand to be
secure.  Cheers,

Colin