As I'm using Google App Engine for small/medium business public facing
websites and web apps, I very much hope the pay-as-you-go version
remains an equal partner to the Business version.

And I assume it will. As many features, like XMPP support, are very
much geared towards public (consumer) sites, and experimenting with
the likes of Google Wave
and Open Social apps. So the Business announcement seems to really be
providing for mainly Intranet needs.

Personally, I'm happy with no-SQL Big Table support on regular App
Engine.

But I'd certainly add another vote for SSL on pay-as-you-go App
Engine. And am keen to know how the Search and Background Tasks type
features may pan out.

Andy