Hello all, I'd like your opinions on the reality of App Engine
scalability. I'm not so concerned about the the high end, since I'm
nowhere near creating a substantial amount of traffic. In fact, I'm
just starting out at the bottom, and that seems to be a problem with
the system. Today I looked at my logs and found that 90/200
transactions resulted in cold starts... Mind you, this is from a
service that's basically running a cron job once a minute (site isn't
launched yet, so all its doing are some very light cleanup jobs)

Is app engine capable of accommodating the business of small guys who
are looking to start out at low volumes, or is the service only really
conducive to high volumes?

I looked at the status page, and it said that datastore is still in
the suck, but nothing relating to any other server issues. If 45% of
my traffic is going to result in cold starts, then I might as well
give up with app engine now. If a transaction is 4/5's startup and 1/5
doing work, I can't justify the service's initially appealing
affordability. I might as well just rent out my own fully fledged JVM
that I at least have some measure of control over for LESS money.

In general I've been very fond of the idea that App Engine would suit
my business needs, but the more I use it in development, the more and
more I find that it'll either cost much more (not related to anything
my code), or it'll have a high time penalty for users.

(Note: Xposted from AppEngineJava. Sorry for the dupe, but this I
should have posted it here anyways)