Hi

Depending on the type of application (read or write oriented) and how
aggressive you can cache stuff then I would say
it is fine for small businesses and/or low volume sites just starting
out. However  I would look carefully at what you are
trying to do and see if it in fact matches app engines architecture,
and how you can address your startup times).

I have a small business (in addition to developing full time on app-
engine) and its website would be classed
as a very low volume site.  Typically we between 30 - 50 unique
visitors per day, 100-200 page views per day.
Our business (bricks and mortar) is heavily dependent on our web
traffic.

A cold start with content in memcache takes about 300ms (I can serve
content from memcache
without starting the full app framework). Serving content from
memcache on a warm instance is typically
less than 20ms. A cold start with a full app framework startup plus
doing some real work typically
takes no more than 12000 ms (though often a lot less, about 4000ms is
more typical).

I do not run anything to keep instances warm (like cron). I might
actually experience a deadline exceeded about once
a week (which I put down to data-store latencies which I am sure will
improve).

I am using python, so have no experience with java startup times.

On the whole we are very happy with app engine, and its performance
for a low volume site

Regards

Tim Hoffman