On Jul 11, 11:01 pm, Broadsmile <broadysm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi! I'm new to the GAE Engine, I found it will be a nice engine for my
> mmorpg game. For now I'm still investigating what Can I do with this
> technology, and what I can't. I want my game to be real-time based and
> am now testing the server to see how responsive it can be.
>
> One of first things I did was pinging the app-name.appspot.com to see
> the lags. It was, and still is ~50ms.
> However! Pinging may be faster then actually sending and receiving
> data. So I made a simple benchmark in flash +
> python:http://lagstest.appspot.com/gra
>
> I get about 200 ms lag, and it's too bad for some really fast action
> in realtime (althought I even don't really want so fast action so I
> don't need small lag). Sometimes lag is spiking to even a second and
> that's alarming. Also something weird happened - I get ~50 ms lag on
> offline devserver - that means, that flash, server or pyAMF is a
> significant factor! :O
>
> I made the source code publichttp://lagstest.appspot.com/lagtest.zip
> (99% of the source code is by Aral Balkan - MIT licence - anyway).
>
> I live in Poland.
>
> So I have several questions:
> 1. Should I expect smaller lag? How to achieve that with flash + GAE?
> 2. Should I repost on Python GAE?
> 3. Any tips for a begginer ?
> 4. Any opensource projects to see, that have a good connection?
> 5. Is my place of living a factor? What do You see on this benchmark?
> 6. What's the sense of life?
> 7. Is my code allright or Aral Balkans code is already outdated? (I
> didn't upgrade AMF to the up-to-date version yet)
>
> Thank You in Advance.

I took a brief look at the zip and noticed that you are using PyAMF
0.3.0b, which is ancient! :)

There has been a lot of effort to optimise PyAMF since that version
(x4-x8 speed up in d/encoding is not unusual). If speed is your king
then I would suggest you take a look at the soon to be released 0.6
[1] which is largely backwards compatible with all older versions.

Cheers,

Nick

[1] - http://github.com/hydralabs/pyamf