On Jul 11, 11:01 pm, Broadsmile <broadysm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi! I'm new to the GAE Engine, I found it will be a nice engine for my
> mmorpg game. For now I'm still investigating what Can I do with this
> technology, and what I can't. I want my game to be real-time based and
> am now testing the server to see how responsive it can be.
>
> One of first things I did was pinging the app-name.appspot.com to see
> the lags. It was, and still is ~50ms.
> However! Pinging may be faster then actually sending and receiving
> data. So I made a simple benchmark in flash +
> python:http://lagstest.appspot.com/gra
>
> I get about 200 ms lag, and it's too bad for some really fast action
> in realtime (althought I even don't really want so fast action so I
> don't need small lag). Sometimes lag is spiking to even a second and
> that's alarming. Also something weird happened - I get ~50 ms lag on
> offline devserver - that means, that flash, server or pyAMF is a
> significant factor! :O
>
> I made the source code publichttp://lagstest.appspot.com/lagtest.zip
> (99% of the source code is by Aral Balkan - MIT licence - anyway).
>
> I live in Poland.
>
> So I have several questions:
> 1. Should I expect smaller lag? How to achieve that with flash + GAE?
> 2. Should I repost on Python GAE?
> 3. Any tips for a begginer ?
> 4. Any opensource projects to see, that have a good connection?
> 5. Is my place of living a factor? What do You see on this benchmark?
> 6. What's the sense of life?
> 7. Is my code allright or Aral Balkans code is already outdated? (I
> didn't upgrade AMF to the up-to-date version yet)
>
> Thank You in Advance.

I took a look at the zip and noticed that you are using PyAMF 0.3.0b,
which is ancient! :)

A lot of work has gone into optimising the PyAMF (x4-x8 improvement of
d/encoding times is not unusual) as well as much improved integration
with the Datastore.

0.6 is about to be released and if you are looking for speed then you
probably want that version [1] (rather than the relatively old 0.5.1).
It should be largely backwards compatible with your current code.

Cheers,

Nick

[1] - http://github.com/hydralabs/pyamf