Per RFC 2822 E-mails have two fields: "From" and "Reply-To". Both
these fields are exposed in Python's mail.EmailMessage as "sender" and
"reply_to" attributes. In my hands on experience with GAE Python these
two fields can be different. The "sender" MUST be an app administrator
or a logged in user but the "reply_to" can be a different e-mail
address. In Outlook and gmail e-mail readers, when you click "reply"
to an e-mail it uses the 'Reply-To" e-mail address.

This behavior has allowed me (and assume Jason too) to build apps that
send e-mail from the system on behalf of one of our users who is not
logged in, and the recipient can click reply and go where it needs to
go, not to an App administrator. My users do not like that the e-mails
appear to come from the system (really a disguised app administrator)
but at  least they tolerate that Reply works as expected.

I want to make sure that the existing behavior will not change because
this will break my application. In fact, as I have reported on the
latter part of a posting last year:
http://www.gae123.com/articles/gaerd/email.html,
I would like to see an ease on the restriction of the sender e-mail
too.

Thanks,
PK
www.gae123.com