Hi Nick

One thing you can do to cut down on re-deploying time is deploy
multiple versions of the same code base.
ie 1-1-a 1-1-b and 1-1-c

Make one default, if you get a stuck instance, test one of the other
versions, if it comes up then make this the default.

This can be done in the dashboard or via appcfg.  This is much quicker
than re-deploying.