Just to add to my first message, I took a look at AppStats and
realised its PUT requests to the datastore which are driving up my
request time. Here are the stats for a typical request:

@1ms memcache.Get real=9ms api=0ms
@10ms memcache.Set real=10ms api=0ms
@21ms datastore_v3.Get real=13ms api=0ms
@36ms datastore_v3.Put real=341ms api=0ms
@388ms datastore_v3.RunQuery real=146ms api=0ms
@536ms datastore_v3.RunQuery real=16ms api=0ms
@552ms datastore_v3.RunQuery real=21ms api=0ms
@595ms datastore_v3.Put real=338ms api=0ms
@933ms datastore_v3.Put real=257ms api=0ms

Notice how long it takes each PUT, this is not normal is it? The
objects I am updating are not overly large and I didn't have this
issue a few weeks ago - in fact I remember the same resource used to
have a typical request time of around 400ms not the 10,000-15,000ms it
currently takes.

Google employees, is this a known issue or is it a new one to add to
the recent problems?