My service launched on 9/14 just the day after 9/13 when the
maintenance happened.  20% of my requests fail due to the following
error today...And this just happens every day.

W 10-03 07:02PM 45.207
Request was aborted after waiting too long to attempt to service your
request. This may happen sporadically when the App Engine serving
cluster is under unexpectedly high or uneven load. If you see this
message frequently, please contact the App Engine team.

I have seen Google acknowledge that the issue is still ongoing and
that they are working to fix it, which is certainly good to hear.

My question though is:
Are these errors a fact of life on GAE or just this worse since 9/13
maintenance?

It pains to me such a powerful platform ridden with these issues and
kicking myself here but I am hoping to hear it is after 9/13
maintenance.

Is there anything an app developer could do to mitigate this issue
other than retrying (which is usually end users really doing the
trying or may simply abandon your service)?