Sounds like a cold start problem. I don't have experience on this but
there are some advices in the forum. If your app grows to have
sustained traffic it will improve for sure, but when starting or for
low-traffic sites the problem remains. I see that there's a feature on
the App Engine Roadmap to help address this: "Ability to reserve
instances to reduce application loading overhead".