You will need to watch that libraries/modules or code that uses things
like "with" (context managers ...) include the
from __future__ import with_statement otherwise these will blow up
when you run in production.

Also 2.6 has advanced string formatting  .format method of str and
unicode  which isn't present in 2.5

2.6 has a future feature of using print as a function.

Here is a complete list http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/2.6.html

So the bottom line is you whilst 2.6 will work in dev, you could end
up with code that will not
run in production.  Chances are you are unlikely to use these features
in your own code
but a thirdparty library could.

So user beware and test in live appengine (get your self a test
instance) before you unleash
you new code on the masses ;-)

Personally I wouldn't bother using 2.6 until it is officially
supported by google in production.
The little extra pain you might have in dev setting it up will be a
lot less than the production
pain if you miss something and have to go and install 2.5 anyway ;-)

Rgds

Tim