Thanks Tim, of course I'm talking about Python2.5-compatible code only.
There are tools which can help you keep compatibility with 2.5 even if
actually using a newer version - e.g. Eclipse PyDev has a grammar checker
with configurable target version. Common sense also helps.

Having this in mind, dev_appserver compatibility with later Python versions
can certainly be useful.