My problem with the behavior is that the user has already logged in to
Google Apps BEFORE being presented the iFrame.   Our GAE application
in embedded in an iFrame to provide additional functionality to a
Google Site.  (The Site is not public, so requires a GApps login.)

After performing the GApps log-in, I would think that I could access a
Sites page with a GAE page embedded in an iFrame and have that work
without needing to do a subsequent login.  But if an additional log-in
is required by the iFrame because of the sandbox-nature of an iFrame,
then the resulting log-in redirection should occur within that
context.   Having it break out of the iFrame (which only occurs in
Internet Explorer) makes no sense because in the context of the top-
level browser window, the user is already logged in.