Does appengine do this in a way which is safe to a heavily-loaded
application? i.e. load the new instance while the old instance is still
serving requests and then simply re-direct requests to the new instance?

Something like this should really be documented.

From: google-appengine@googlegroups.com
[mailto:google-appeng...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Ikai Lan (Google)
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2010 6:50 AM
To: google-appengine@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [google-appengine] Instance maximum number of requests

Yes. Application instances are meant to be relatively short lived. Once each
instance has served a certain amount of requests, we will gracefully
terminate it and spin up a new instance to take its place. The number of
requests to trigger this limit is subject to change for performance tuning
reasons, but it should be in the ballpark of tens of thousands of requests.

--

Ikai Lan

Blogger: http://googleappengine.blogspot.com
<http://googleappengine.blogspot.com/>