Hi All,
I’m looking for a reality check before diving into developing (in
python) a major application for our web site (technically this is a
ground-up rewrite of an aging EC2 based app). There are a lot of
things that I like about GAE: easy development and deployment,
(mostly) worry free data storage, world wide response caching, etc.
And I’ve already programmed some smaller test apps with no major
problems.  However now its “rubber hits the road” time and the
decision is not yet a slam dunk.  Here are my concerns:
1. As far as I can tell there are few people using the the blobstore
to serve video.  I haven’t had a problem with it, but I don’t feel I
have the safety in numbers factor either.
2. Video transcoding is an essential component.  Currently I’m going
off-GAE to Zencoder -- but this gives me one extra point of failure,
and an awkward data flow to round-trip back to the blobstore.  There
could be other off-GAE processing requirements later such as 3D
rendering.
3. I don’t yet know how to serve Flash content from GAE.   I assume
PyAMF is my tool, but I don’t know enough about it to assess how much
effort it will take to get up-to-speed and implement my Flash to
Datastore connections.
4. My app traffic and database size are probably on the small side
compared to most commercial sites that would use GAE.  This could be
good -- I benefit from all the big guys hammering the platform, or bad
-- my particular needs don't get Google love.

Opinions?  Is GAE the right platform for my app?
John

PS:  Appoximate app parameters are:
1. Rapid and flexible development is a high priority.   Therefore we
could trade operational dollars to reduce development expenses (within
reason).
2. Up to 2000 world wide "member" users.  These users would upload
short videos (~10 seconds, ~10MB) and other data at least a couple
times a day.
3. About 5 main pages that are member accessible which serve mostly
moderately complex Flash content.
4. Facebook Connect with up to 100,000 worldwide fans.  Fans will
access the site and view a few short videos daily.  10% of this access
will probably be from mobile devices.
5. Primary database tables are:  “Members” (<2000 entries),
“Tasks” (<3000 entries), and “Uploads” (<100000 entries)
6. Only moderate security demands: (No financial transactions, uses
Facebook or OpenID login, low profile target for bot or DDOS threats.)