Hi

I think there a number of issues around clearing the cache.

If you want a simplistic purge of the cache, just wrap the appcfg
update in a script that when the deploy is finished
it then does memcache.flush_all() via remote api.  Then you don't have
to have any custom handlers etc.

However I don't think this isn't really a good idea.

The main issue I see

If you deploy a new version and need to wait for it to build indexes,
flushing memcache before you promote the new version to default will
be either a waste of time or wrong. And you would then need to flush
the cache when you promote to default.

I think using the namespace for versioning the memcache keys unless
you know you will never ever need namespaces for anything else is
probably not a good idea.

I would actually suggest that if you want to manage memcache, that you
manage it through functions/decorators and stick the current instances
version
into the keys behind the scenes.  That way versions will always have
their own memcache data and they won't interfere with namespaces.

Then you don't have to flush the cache, and you can test new versions
whilst default is still running.

Just my 2c

Rgds