Hi,

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 11:07 AM, pdknsk <pdk...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Well the problem with a script is the delay between deployment and the
> updated application being available on the web. I could probably use a
> safety margin of one or two minutes. Maybe I should give a bit of
> background why I need this, and maybe there is a different solution to
> this.
>
> I have a few static pages, which I compute locally, daily, and upload
> as a file. Otherwise it'd be too resource intensive. I then have
> python print them from memcache, or read into memcache from file if it
> isn't already.
>
> Now when I upload a new static file, I have to reset memcache to make
> python read the new files. If I reset memcache after deployment is
> finished, but before the new app is actually available to users on the
> web, a user might visit within that short time frame and insert an old
> page into memcache.

Have you checked the performance of this? Reading from a local file is
almost certainly faster - or at the very least, nearly indistinguishable
from - reading from memcache - so you're probably actually slowing your app
down by putting data into memcache.

Your best option is likely to upload the files as static data and let the
App Engine infrastructure cache and serve them for you. If that's not an
option, then you can cache them in local instance memory, instead.

-Nick Johnson

Nick Johnson, Developer Programs Engineer, App Engine Google Ireland Ltd. ::
Registered in Dublin, Ireland, Registration Number: 368047