We have a Java application which uses Spring for dependency injection
and dispatching. The initialization of the WebApplicationContext and
the DispatcherServlet can take upto 20 seconds. When using a regular
webcontainer this is not a problem since initialization is done only
once and at container startup.

Unfortunately with GAE it becomes a problem. The application has a low
number of requests/min (=1 user request+ 10 system generated
requests / 2 minutes) and we are getting a lot of "This request caused
a new process to be started for your application, and thus caused your
application code to be loaded for the first time. This request may
thus take longer and use more CPU than a typical request for your
application."

The result is having slow performance/long response times when
processing user requests and very frequently HardDeadlineExceededError
and thus becoming a serious problem

I'm curious to know whether other developers have similar issues and
how they addressed them. I haven't made up my mind about the
resolution strategy for this (tweak Spring, remove Spring, add keep a
live pings....)

Regards,

Erwin Streur