Hi Erik,
  As far as I know the persistence manager would not create any extra entities.

  It sounds like you might want to explicitly disable indexing on any
fields you will not be querying on.  See the 'Properties that Aren't
Indexed' section on the 'Queries and Indexes' page.
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/datastore/queriesandindexes.html

  You might also want to use shorter kind and property names.  Kind
and property names are stored with every entity, so it can add up
pretty fast.

Robert