Thanks for the reply.  The example you gave does not work for me.  I get the
full size image returned (430x293).  I think that the querystring is just
ignored by ggpht servers.

Also, on the dev_appserver, adding the query string generates an exception.

Based on reading RFC 3986 Section
2.2<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986.html#section-2.2>,
I think it is now clear that Facebook is in the wrong here.  The RFC states
that "=" is a reserved character and should not be escaped.

As a workaround, I have created my own handler (with simple URL) that
retrieves the image and streams it back.

-Chris