The bit GAE has got bang on is the ability to be up and running VERY
easily. But as things get more complex the missing pieces become an
issue as I can imagine many people being put off by the lack of HTTPS
support. It's good but a few things make me think that maybe GAE isn't
a contender for replacing the traditional startup server rig/VPS etc.

Without much more effort you could see GAE fitting into web host
market for applications, but with a few of those issues being wrapped
up.

It's a great setup, but just needs those last few pieces and it could
give MS a kicking with their App Safety Blanket thing. ;)

For the time I think that a VPS is still the way to go for anything
requiring exchanging of details or finances, but lets hope things
develop quickly.

Cheers