Agree with Robert named tasks are the way to go. I have a similar
requirements - have a long running state machine implemented as
chained tasks. Once I worked out transactional issues and added
"choke" points to prevent fork bomb it has been running ok for over 1
week now. Clarification, by "running ok" I meant that task flow is
sustained in presence of occasional datastore and memcache errors. You
task handlers and app as a whole should still deal with idempotancy
issues arising from errors.