Hi all,

I've written an application that does some work every X minutes/seconds for
each entity of an entity type in the datastore. Currently this is done by
running an cron job and calculating the next runtime for each entity and
enqueing tasks with delays so that they are run at the appropriate time. But
it's hard to be flexible about the interval that tasks can be run when the
cron intervals are hard coded. Also, cron sometimes fails to run and I'd
like the application to be more robust.

It would be easy to chain the tasks for each entity forever and simply not
run and die if the entity is removed from the datastore, but I'm worried
about a situation where the task would get dequeued for some reason. In that
case all subsequent tasks for that entity wouldn't be run.

I'd like to combine the task queue and cron and chain tasks but have cron
check every so often to make sure the tasks are still enqueued. Is there a
way for the application to check if a task is enqueued in the task queue?

--
Ian

http://www.ianlewis.org/