The acid test: would you recommend GAE to a friend?

I certainly would. GAE has helped me get my business off the ground
with an ROI that is unbeatable. Yes, it doesn't do everything. The
pieces it does not do can be done elsewhere (e.g., Amazon) and hooked
in. For example, for SSL, one can set up a proxy server on Amazon (see
http://wp.me/poqXr-5I). Using urlfetch, one can integrate pretty much
any service that is available on the web.

But if you want (or need) to fool around with your own OS, install
security patches, do your own backups, install your own software,
program in some of the unsupported programming languages or program
against a more familiar database, then GAE is not the right technology
for the job.

The best defense is not a rebuttal of negative things written about
App Engine. The best defense is an active and visible ecosystem. App
Engine does have that.

What could we do to improve it and publicize it more?