I also think GAE is an excellent platform to build REST services.
Recently, I have build a couple of web-applications with following
architecture.

Backend: GAE/Python (this is the MODEL)
Protocol: REST (JSON over HTTP)
Client-A: CONTROLLER implemented in JavaScript + Static HTML templates
loaded from GAE (VIEW)
Client-B: iPhone/iPad app written in Objective-C (CONTROLLER) +
Resource bundles edited by IB (VIEW)

By doing so I can (1) minimize the server side of code (and runtime
size because I don't need large framework - notice that I perform data-
view binding on the client side), (2) clearly separate the model, view
and controller, (3) use the exact same protocol among multiple
clients.

Satoshi