Tim,

Datastore latencies do coincide with application startup times, but they are
not the cause. The root cause is usually the underlying I/O. We're working
on long term solutions for these issues.

Neal, we'll be shipping "Always On" as a billing enabled feature in 1.4.0.
You'll definitely want to make use of this in your application to prevent
this from happening.

--
Ikai Lan
Blogger: http://googleappengine.blogspot.com