The account problem you describe has been a complete mess for a long time now.

However, I suspect that if your user does the new thing to "migrate" their apps
mail to unify it with gmail, then this problem will go away.  I've been afraid
to experiment with it, because of the complete nightmare I experienced the last
time I tried to use an apps email account with a non-apps GAE app.  So if it
works, let us know!

-Joshua