Hey all,

I am planning to build a web app that provides ReST and XMPP to custom-built clients. GAE seems like a good choice as google talk is supposed to be part of the package, but I'm confused about how authentication works with web vs XMPP. I realize I can either do my own authentication or use google accounts for the web services.

With Google accounts authentication, how would the clients authenticate into XMPP? Would it be sufficient to ask the user for username/password? I assume that would get the user into XMPP, but not the web services, since google protects its account login services when doing this on the web. If this does work, what are the implications? I'm not going to be able to build in features like facebook connect, etc, right? What about portability away from Google?

If I manage my own user accounts, how can the clients use google's XMPP services? Is this possible? I don't see any way to create XMPP accounts or anything like that (user-n...@my-app.appspotchat.com seems like something I should/could manage, but I don't see an API. If I let everyone log in with the same account, can I prevent them from changing the password?).

        Any advice here is appreciated. Thanks,

bjorn