On Jan 22, 2:00 pm, Robert Kluin <robert.kl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>   You'll have to show us how you are rendering the form.  If you're
> using template, just pass the value you get for type to your template
> and print the value, like djidjadji said.

Sorry, I am confused about this. The form is not rendered;
DirectorySubmitHandler handles the form submission to write the
submission to the database and then redirects to Directory which pulls
the relevant merchandise_type from database and renders it.

The url parameter is saved in Directory as

merchandise_type = self.request.get("type")

So, Python will not let me use merchandise_type in
DirectorySubmitHandler.

I don't know how I can pass merchandise_type to the form. Please let
me know what I am missing here.

<input type="hidden" name="dir_type" value="I don't know what should
go here">

I am not using templates.

I need to use merchandise_type in DirectorySubmitHandler to redirect
to Directory.

Maybe I should handle the form with Directory too, but not sure if I
can do that.

I copy the handlers below from my first post. If more information is
needed please let me know:

In the Directory handler I have

merchandise_type = self.request.get("type")

How do I use merchandise_type in the DirectorySubmitHandler?

class Directory(webapp.RequestHandler):
    def get(self):
        merchandise_type = self.request.get("type", "")
        items = Item.all()
        items.filter("type =", merchandise_type)
class DirectorySubmitHandler(webapp.RequestHandler):
    def post(self):
        user = users.get_current_user()
        #the following line gives unknown global name error
        dir_type = merchandise_type
        if user:
            item = Item()
            item.title = self.request.get("title")
            item.url = self.request.get("url")
            item.type = self.request.get("dir_type")
            item.user_who_liked_this_item = user
            item.put()
            self.redirect("/dir?type=%s" %
self.request.get("dir_type"))
        else:
            self.redirect(users.create_login_url(self.request.uri))

Thanks again.