I am still trying to resolve the question that I asked here:
http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine/browse_thread/thread/62738fb02ee228f7/1b554d60be59e2fe?hl=en#1b554d60be59e2fe

I tried to use only one handler instead of two.

The new DirectoryHandler is here: http://pastebin.com/7RX32R6D

On line 40 I test if "title" of the form is empty

if empty form is not submitted and I get the merchandise_type from the
database and display by "points".

This part works but else part does not work. On line 57 I try to write
form info to database:

else:
    def post(self):
        merchandise_type = self.request.get("type", "")
        item = Item()
        item.title = self.request.get("title")
        item.url = self.request.get("url")
        item.type = merchandise_type
        item.user_who_liked_this_item = user
        item.put()

If the form is submitted the /dir is displayed without the url
parameters.

else part is never executed. I would appreciate help with this. Or the
best way to solve this problem. Thanks!