I also noticed that your code to retrieve the records from the DB is
wrong, this won't work as you expect:

items = Item.all()
items.filter("type =", merchandise_type)
items.order("-points")

because filter and order methods do not modify the query, they return
a new one, so your code be:

items = Item.all()
items = items.filter("type =", merchandise_type)
items = items.order("-points")

or the shorter

items = Item.all().filter("type =", merchandise_type).order("-points")