Hi Jacob,
  Has the user you're trying to send the message to invited your app
to chat?  You might want to include the full stack trace from the
logs.  Also, including some of the code you've actually tried could
help too.

  What happens if you try something like this:

  class XMPPHandler(webapp.RequestHandler):
      def post(self):
          message = xmpp.Message(self.request.POST)
          if 'hello' in message.body.lower():
              message.reply("Hello!")
          else:
              message.reply("let me think...")