Hi Richard,

The Channel API doesn't use websockets, as they're not widely deployed yet.
Instead, it (currently!) uses long-polling.

I'm not familiar with Phonegap or Titanium, but your best option is probably
to use existing push messaging solutions available on each device. Apple
provides a Push API, and Android has the Cloud To Device Messaging API.

-Nick Johnson

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Richard Arrano <rickarr...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
> I was thinking about how to integrate my App Engine app with mobile
> devices; my favorite choices so far are phonegap and Titanium, and it
> seems relatively simple to port things to these platforms. However,
> the sticking point has been that my application uses the Channel API.
> What I'm wondering is, what exactly does a mobile platform like
> phonegap or Titanium need to interface properly with the Channel API?
> I know WebSockets, but is there anything more than that? If anyone has
> any experience integrating their app with mobile devices and using
> Channel, I'd appreciate some ideas on how to do so. I realize this
> could be seen as a phonegap/Titanium question rather than an App
> Engine one but I'm particularly interested in what App Engine's JS is
> doing client-side so I can perhaps find some mobile platform specific
> hacks(for instance I've found some that enable WebSockets in
> phonegap). Any help is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard Arrano

Nick Johnson, Developer Programs Engineer, App Engine
Google Ireland Ltd. :: Registered in Dublin, Ireland, Registration Number:
368047