My reads are serial because there is some dependency on earlier reads.
But the main point is that it was working fine before.
The allowed capability of the current appengine platform is different from
the allowed capabilities of, say, last week's platform.
To have the platform's capabilities change is very dramatic and affects
apps.
That's why it seems like the appengine platform is currently up and running,
but not at it's "normal' level.

By the way, it would be desirable to be able to test my app when the
appengine platform is running at this
lower level of capability.