I use GAE with Spring and Maven as well, but I'm using the low-level
Entity API instead of JPA.  I think the GAE JUnit test classes may be
useful for your development... not sure if this is what you were
looking for, but I hope it is somewhat useful...

Example JUnit test class:  http://goo.gl/dn9ka
In this example I am setting up the datastore to contain entities that
I will be querying for through my spring MVC controller.

GAE docs:
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/tools/localunittesting.html

Test harness classes:
    import
com.google.appengine.tools.development.testing.LocalDatastoreServiceTestConfig;
    import
com.google.appengine.tools.development.testing.LocalServiceTestHelper;
    import
com.google.appengine.tools.development.testing.LocalUserServiceTestConfig;

Maven Dependencies:
    <dependencies>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>com.google.appengine</groupId>
            <artifactId>appengine-testing</artifactId>
            <version>1.4.2</version>
            <scope>test</scope>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>com.google.appengine</groupId>
            <artifactId>appengine-api-stubs</artifactId>
            <version>1.4.2</version>
            <scope>test</scope>
        </dependency>
    </dependencies>