I'm about 80% through with both Google Checkout and Paypal integration
for a pure-digital service.  I must say, Google Checkout is VERY
disappointing - it seems to be an abandoned product.

 * The Java SDK doesn't even compile.
 * The binaries don't run on GAE (jaxb issues).
 * The documentation is not very helpful.

Basically you have to do your own XML processing.  The fact that the
server must submit to a valid HTTPS callback makes testing a pain in
the ass - this requirement exists even for the sandbox.  I had to
proxy through appengine *and* a cloud host ssh tunnel just to get the
@#$%! payload to my Eclipse dev system.  Overall the whole experience
feels janky and utterly fails to inspire trust.

Say what you will about Paypal's evil eye and their confusing product
line, at least the integration is going fairly smoothly.  It feels
like 1990s technology but it works.  The most helpful advice I can
offer:  Forget everything else on their stupid overmarketed website
and go straight for "Web Payments Standard".

Tirade over.

Jeff