I have fully implemented Google Checkout on my app, but I am less than
happy with the service.  For the most part, it works as advertised and
I'm fine with that.  I use Python and my own code to handle the API
requests and callbacks, and technically the system seems fine.

But there were two times that someone with Checkout decided to suspend
my account *without warning* and I had to first discover the reason
for the suspension and then deal with non-responsive support engineers
half a world away.  I would get a single email reply a day while my
customers were left waiting for my site to resume.  Even after I faxed
and emailed the requested documentation within minutes of their email
reply, I would have to wait another day to get my account restored.
Poor customer service by Checkout!

Another thing that I didn't expect is that some customers are afraid
of Google.  They don't like the idea of handing their credit card
information over to this giant company.  It's only a few customers,
but their fear is enough for them to send a check instead of using
Checkout for payment.  If Checkout would allow for a one-time payment
without requiring customers to create an account, that would be
great.  That is, I want an Authorize.net style gateway for Checkout so
people can enter all of their credit card info and be done with the
payment in just one step, without having to leave my website.

I like how Social Gold allows for multiple payment options (including
Checkout), and I hope the fees are closer to 2-3% (not the 6-10% shown
on their FAQ).  I just signed up for the beta, maybe this will be what
I am looking for.  In any case, there needs to be someone that I can
call 24x7 for customer support, especially when Google wants to take
actions without warning.  I really hated the fact that they could
contact me with any questions but just suspended activity without
warning.  It was really unprofessional.

I got halfway through implementing the PayPal payment system when that
happened, and I will complete that the next time Checkout behaves that
way.  I don't like the PayPal API, though.  It's too cumbersome.
Authorize.net is really nice but I need to open my own merchant
account for that, and they're not cheap (monthly fees, etc.).